Back
Header Bild

CHOCOLATE MAKES YOU HAPPY

Swiss tradition

Maestrani has a sixth sense for chocolate. Our chocolatiers take high-quality ingredients and melt them to create fine chocolate specialties.

Today

Chocolate factory of happiness

Maestrani today operates a modern chocolate factory, produces over 300 different products and welcomes over 150,000 visitors a year to its World of Discovery.

2017

Grand Opening of the World of Discovery

The grand opening ceremony for Maestrani’s Chocolarium World of Discovery was held on 1 April 2017, thus providing Eastern Switzerland with a "sweetly tempting attraction".

1998

Takeover of Munz

Maestrani acquires the Munz chocolate factory in Flawil, St. Gallen. A year later, the construction of a new manufacturing plant started in Flawil. In 2003 and 2004, production and administration were fully relocated from St. Gallen to Flawil.

1912

Maestrani Schweizer
Schokoladen AG

In 1912, the company was renamed Maestrani Schweizer Schokoladen AG, the name it still bears today. After a successful start, the company suffered a series of setbacks during the First World War, which continued into the post-war period. The Second World War also proved a difficult time, particularly due to the scarcity of raw materials. The path to success was cost-intensive, and considerable sums had to be invested in building extensions and installing new machinery to regain lost ground and expand the factory beyond its original scope.

1884

Purchase of the former spinning mill in St.Georgen

The former abbey mill and spinning mill in St. Gallen was converted into a factory. Even then, the name Maestrani stood for high-quality chocolate and in 1884, Maestrani was appointed official supplier to the court of King Umberto I of Italy.

1880

Aquilino Maestrani dies

In 1880, Aquilino Maestrani passed away and was buried in St. Gallen. Later his tomb was moved to Aquila in Val Blenio (Ticino). The business, which was inherited by his three sons, continued to flourish under the name of A. Maestrani & Co.

1875

Demand continues to rise

In 1875, demand for Maestrani products exceeded the available production capacity. The young family-run enterprise searched for a factory building and found it in Espenmoos in the eastern part of the city of St. Gallen.

1859

The business moves to Multergasse in St.Gallen

In 1859, Aquilino relocated to St. Gallen, where he set up his business at Haus zur Meise on Multergasse. Thirteen years later, he purchased the adjacent building, demolished it and built the “Marmorhaus”, a magnificent building for that time. In the new premises he was able to install modern showrooms and sales areas where, in addition to chocolate, he sold other delicacies and tropical fruit. By this time, Aquilino’s three sons Ludovico, Roberto and Savino were able to help their father in the family business.

1852

Maestrani is founded

This iconic brand for lovers of chocolate and nuts has been in existence since 1936. And to this day, Minor is still the chocolate bar with the most – and best – hazelnuts. At least, that's the opinion of Split the Squirrel...